Department of Zoology was established in 1957 as separate Department, under
the headship of Dr. A.C. Choudhari.Department runs U.G. as well as P.G.
classes in Zoology, Animal husbandry and Dairy Science at U.G. level.
Department has well equipped museum and
research laboratory recognized by University. Major instrument like
Photocolorimeter, Kymograph, Thermostat, Research binocular microscope, pH
meter, etc. are available in the department. Department organizes
educational tours, seminars, group discussions to maintain academic
atmosphere among students.
Department has models of Dinosaurs,
archaeopteryx, human anatomy and preserved specimen of whale, lepidosteus,
amia, iguana, peripatus, preserved human embryos and cattle embryos etc.
Alizarine preparation of Bird, tortoise, calotes, rat embryo are prepared by
the Department. Dr. A.B. Deshpande was appointed as Head of the
Department in year 1976. Under his able guidance Department has started Post
Graduation studies in Zoology in theyear 1990 with Endocrinology and Fishery
Science as special subjects. Dr. S.D. Dandegaonkar, former head of the
Department took the charge from 1996.Four research fellows Mr. Sirsat, Mr.
Raut, Miss. Mulajkar, Miss. Jawale are working in the research laboratory of
the Department since 2001.
Department is running COSIP
programme sanctioned by U.G.C. The Projects undertaken in COSIP are: -
- Study of biodiversity of Taluka Ambajogai.
- Study of problems related to pisciculture.
- Study of techniques in experimental embryology and cross breed
Dr.D.H.Throat is HOD and holds the post of
Vice Principal in the Collge Administration.
Mr.S.R.Lahoti is the Incharge of the Dairy
dept. and Dr. R. Choudhari is working as a Lecturer in Dairy dept.